APPLICATIONS OF DIELECTRIC MATERIALS.
- (a). Dielectrics are used as outer jacket over plastic or rubber over the aluminum and copper conductors in wiring to avoid short circuit.
- (b) In electric iron boxes, mica or asbestos is used as insulators to prevent the flow of current to the outer body of the iron box.
- (a) In transformers, motors, generators windings vanished cotton is used as insulator.
- (b) In electricity distribution lines, porcelain structures are used as insulators between different points of different potential. In between aluminum or steel cored aluminum conductors running through different distribution points, air acts as insulator.
- (c) In heater coils ceramic beads are used to avoid short circuiting as well as to insulate the outer body from the electric current.
- (d) Dielectric is widely used in capacitors to store electric energy. Different dielectrics can have different dielectric constant so they store different energies. Depending on the type of dielectric, capacitors are divided into paper capacitor, ceramic capacitor, mica capacitor etc.